December 2, 2019: The PDCA of the Pacific Coast Chapter awarded four $1,500 scholarships this year to the following students:
Seth Myhre A project engineer at Shimmick for the past three years, Myhre is studying for a degree in mechanical engineering at California State Chico with a GPA of 3.2.
Sam Follett, P.E. An engineer at Foundation Constructors Inc., Follet is returning to school to get his Masters in geotechnical engineering. In his essay, he says, "My experience working with a deep foundation contractor and my future graduate degree will allow me to design piles that are constructible. I understand the limitations that are presented by site conditions (soil, access, permitting) and necessary equipment to install various types of piles. I will be able to make sure that owners are able to pick foundation options that actually make sense. I will also be able to explain the benefits to owners that come with pile driving compared to other foundation options, such as increased material quality control, the ease of pile testing and ability to test increased amounts of piles at a time, and the schedule benefits compared to other foundation types."
Erick Medina A full-time college student at Sacramento State University pursing a degree in Construction Management, Medina is in his first year at Sac State. He earned a GPA of 3.3. One of Medina's goals is to be the first person in his family to earn a four-year college degree. He is a hard worker and has learned that teamwork in the workplace is one of the keys to success.
Russell "Teddy" Bruin One of the 2018 recipients of a PDCA scholarship, Bruin says he appreciated the support provided last year. He successfully completed his first year at Loyola University Chicago, where he is still pursuing a degree in environmental science. He was involved in several extracurricular collegiate activities along with having a solid academic year.
Sam Follett, P.E.
- COVID-19: Legal Resources from PDCA Law Firms
- 2020 DFDTA: Pile Testing Technical Seminar Concludes
- Spotted: PDCA Members at CONEXPO - CON/AGG
- PileDriver magazine: From the Ground Up - a Career Story
- PileDriver magazine: Managing the Unmanageable
- A Pile of News - March 2020
- PileDriver magazine: Taking Better Project Photos with your Smartphone
- Spotted: PDCA Members at 2020 ASCE GeoCongress
- Pacific Coast Chapter "Annual Schloarship Shoot," April 17
- New Chapter Officers in South Carolina