E.A.L. Smith Award Presentation
This award lecture honors E.A.L. Smith, who developed the wave equation analysis concept to a practical and useful tool for the pile driving professional. Additional development work added to the usefulness of the original approach, however, Smith's original development work remains at the center of modern versions, giving evidence of Smith's genius.
Considering the benefits derived from Smith's work, the awardee should be an individual who has demonstrated creative and original work that helped the driven pile industry provide an economical, sustainable, effective and environmentally conscious foundation solution. The creativity can be demonstrated in the form of innovative foundation design, manufacturing, installation or construction procedures. The awardee should have a abundant amount of history in the driven pile industry.
PDCA is pleased to again present a pre-conference short course at IFCEE Conference in 2021. Submitted abstracts can focus on a broad range of topics with focus on aspects of the driven pile, earth retention, and/or deep foundation industry. Submissions should also include the duration of the course, with preference being between 4 to 8 hours.
This course should be designed for geotechnical, structural, and civil engineers; general and sub-contractors; suppliers and manufacturers; and other firms or individuals who conduct business, support, or are associated with the deep foundations, earth retention and/or the driven pile industry.
If you have an abstract you wish to share with the Education Committee for consideration please be sure it summarizes, usually in one paragraph of 300 words or less, the major aspects of the entire presentation in a prescribed sequence that should include:
1) the overall purpose of the study and the research problem(s) you investigated
2) the basic design of the study/job site reference
3) major findings or trends found as a result of your analysis or investigation
4) a brief summary of your interpretations and conclusions
5) any visual aids (maximum of 3) you feel will need to help express the depth of your presentation
Additional considerations for your abstract are outlined below:
1) E.A.L. Smith presentation nominations or submissions should include details regarding the presenter and their contributions/dedication to the pile driving industry.
2) Short Course submissions should include the duration of the course - between 4 to 8 hours